November 06, 2016
Quinoa Spinach Cakes
Quinoa is a super grain; it is the only grain that is a complete protein. This means you get all of your essential aminos acids (a protein source found primarily in meat) plus a good dose of fiber and iron. Quinoa will take on whatever flavor you add to it, which means you can make it savory or sweet. I personally do not like quinoa plain, but whipped up in a yummy recipe, I am all over it. My Quinoa Spinach Cake recipe is an all in one meal. You get your protein, carbs, and veggie for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Try these topped with an over medium egg, a drizzle or Sriracha, or as is.
- 2 cups low sodium stock, chicken or veggie
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 bag of frozen spinach
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a saucepan over high heat and bring stock, quinoa, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a saucepan, cover, and allow to cook down and become soft. Allow spinach to cool slightly. Add spinach, egg, cheese, and bread crumbs to quinoa and mix well to combine.
- Place a skillet over medium heat, drizzle in olive oil. Use a ½ cup to scoop out quinoa mixture, press to make a firm cake and flatten slightly. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
For more recipes, sign up for our FREE Trail!